Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Triathlon Time


So Jamie and I are doing the St. George Triathlon May 10th, just over a week away, and we are nervous and excited. We did our first sprint triathlon at Camp Pendleton last year and had fun so we decided to do a longer distance one this year. This involves a lot of training compared to last time when I made it to the pool once and ran a little and called it good. This time is much different, mile long swims and 35 mile bike rides to train. Friends from here are competing along with a brother from Utah, two other brothers are coming to hang out and cheer us on, it should be tons of fun.


Things I've learned from training for this triathlon:

1. My wife is competitive and it feels like I'm already racing her each time we swim.
2. I've learned to swim, that is a huge accomplishment on my part, not well but I've learned.
3. Padding sewn into bike shorts can never be too thick.
4. Bike shorts cost way too much.
5. Bike shorts are way too ugly.
5. Bike maintenance is very important. I learned the hard way from a tire blow out and a few rolls on asphalt at 20 mph. I should have taken pictures of the damage.

6. A thin layer of polyester is no match for asphalt.
7. Amazing how you worry about how many people see you crash versus worrying about bodily harm.
8. Water drains from my nose for hours after swimming, is that normal? (thats more of an observation)
9. Pizza is never a good meal before a long swim.
10. New shoes feel so much newer if your old ones were nearing their third birthday.
11. Guzzling propel during a long ride always makes me want to puke.
12. You can buy a carbon fiber seat post for $130....?!?! $130 for 12 inches of PIPE!
13. Polarized sunglasses are nice.
14. The farther your mouth is opened while riding, the further the bugs make it down your throat.

At least this time I'll be on a real bike (pictured above) my favorite christmas present from my in-laws. This is a ride coming back from my Laguna Beach route. PCH has some great views for biking. I hope training at sea level doesn't kill us.

13 comments:

Sue said...

I'm laughing so hard at your list of things learned.

Jess said...

Wow. The E-fords are very impressed.

Jess said...

Wow. The E-fords are very impressed.

Jess said...

So impressed we had to leave the same comment twice.

jamestownboys said...

ha ha Bean. Sounds fun!!

Edith said...

Good luck to both of you!

Ashley Clark said...

Yet ANOTHER reason why we need to live closer to you guys. I would love to do something like this, but would need someone to motivate me. I hope to see pictures of bugs down the throat, stylish biker shorts, and perhaps Jaime kicking your butt. :-)

Bracken and Bracken said...

Did you hear about the triathlete from San Diego and the shark? I immediately thought of you. I love you, have fun and good luck!!!!

Tiff said...

Wow I think you guys are crazy! But good luck! I wish you were traveling a little closer so we could see ya!

Anonymous said...

hey i just found your blog from emily's... you look so cute with red hair!

ACSpencer said...

Yeah heard about the triathlete that got chomped by the shark in Solana Beach, scary. I used to surf just south in Del Mar a lot. Thats why I hate the idea of swimming in the ocean without a board.

Kari Ann said...

Good for you two! Brian and I got some really nice rode bikes a couple of years ago and keep saying that we are goign to start doing the triathalon thing. The firefighters put one on every year in Provo, but something always comes up. This year a baby will keep me from even being able to ride my bike until late this summer. Good luck!

Pam said...

so who's the one taking the spill?

Good luck guys, let us know how it is.